In the 21st century, sustainable business development is increasingly tied to collaborative processes of technological innovation and entrepreneurial thinking. Consequently, there is a need for enabling processes, methods and spaces that bring together individuals with ideas and potential, who are motivated to become change-makers in their local environment.
ice seeks to enable innovation, collaboration and entrepreneurship in terms of actions and behaviours – create, share and benefit.
The core principles of ice:
1) To identify, enable and share technological and business solutions for local challenges
2) To invent products and services that generate sustainable incomes
3) To explore new methods for interdisciplinary collaboration
4) To strengthen community-shared workspaces
5) To encourage entrepreneurship with strong environmental and social commitment
6 )To foster shift towards a sharing economy.
The ice community refers to people exhibiting the following behaviours throughout the world:
1) Share your knowledge and resources to achieve common goals.
2) Promote the work of your peers.
3) Share opportunities for work, income streams and value creation.
4) Network people and organisations.
icehubs are community driven technology innovation spaces with a strong social and environmental commitment. Hubs promote the invention and development of home-grown technological products and services that constitute affordable and viable technological solutions for local challenges. Hubs bring together a diverse community of action-oriented thinkers, doers and leaders in an environment characterized by a collaborative mentality. icehubs are autonomous, locally managed and financially self-sustainable. These hubs offer facilities and activities to foster community building, networking and collaborative learning. icehubs are politically and religiously neutral.
The icehubs-network is an emerging open network enabled by GIZ in partnership with various local organisations. Currently the network consists of iceaddis, icecairo, icealex and icebauhaus. Collaboration between the hubs is facilitated virtually as well as physically. Learning and sharing between hubs is encouraged.