Through a recent collection of activities and events, icebauhaus has now ventured into the field of ict for agriculture (ict4ag).
- authored a research report for GIZ: “Analyse zu Unterstützungs-potentialen von IKT bei der Ertragssteigerung bzw. -sicherung der Kleinbauern in den Partnerländern” (not yet public)
- hosted a session on “Tools of Knowledge Application – ict4ag challenges & oportunities on a global scale” at the Ethio-German Konnect conference organized by CIM in Addis Ababa, November 2014
- participated in training on Agricultural Market Information Systems and ICT Platforms for Business Management Across the Value Chain, organized by IFDC in December 2014 in Arusha, Tanzania
- participated in the “Creating Impact with Open Data in Agriculture and Nutrition” workshop organized by the Open Data Institute for the GODAN network in Wageningen, January 2015
Our experience so far tells us that current key challenges to ict4ag revolve around:
- The development of sustainable business models that support the implementation and scaling of services
- Usability and accessibility of technologies, i.e. contextual user requirements analysis and user centered design methodology in the development process
- Learning from others: Open interdisciplinary collaboration and sharing of best practice
At icebauhaus, we are currently planning and preparing further steps to deal with these challenges.